Downtown Dallas Lofts for RentDowntown Dallas Lofts for Rent

820 EXPOSITION #1 DALLAS, TEXAS 75226

PHONE 214-821-3411   FAX 214-821-2098

info@thegibsonco.com

Available Residential/Commercial Lofts       Available Commercial Lofts       Our Buildings       Loft Amenities       Links       Contact Us       Home       Tenant Portal       Apply Now

The Goodyear and Goodrich Lofts have significant designations from United States Department of the Interior/National Park Service and The Dallas Landmark Commission. On plaques at the entry of both buildings show "Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior" and a "Dallas Landmark". These honors indicate the recognition of the cultural heritage preserved by the careful restoration of these structures.

Further notes related to the historic heritage preserved in these lofts:

The National Register of Historic Places
National Park Service

National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the nation’s cultural resources worthy of preservation. Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service under the Secretary of the Interior Properties listed in the National Register include districts, site, buildings, structures and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. These resources contribute to an understanding of the historical and cultural foundations of the Nation.

National Register properties are distinguished by having been documented and evaluated according to uniform standards. The Secretary of the Interior’s National Register criteria for evaluation and documentation standards are used by every State and territory and by Federal agencies to identify important historic and archeological properties worthy of preservation and of consideration in making planning and development decisions.

The National Register program provides Federal, State and local governments and the general public the following:

National recognition of the value of historic properties individually and collectively to the Nation.

Eligibility for Federal tax incentives and other preservation assistance.

Assistance in cultural resource planning.

Dallas Landmark Commission

Dallas is a city that places a high value on the new. From the first entrepreneur, John Neely Bryan, who built a trading post here in 1841, until today—-the perspective has remained the same. Dallas is about money, commerce and the future.

As early as 1908 Dallas proclaimed it was "The Most Progressive Metropolis of the Southwest". Each decade has been filled with tremendous growth.

The sunbelt boomtown era of the 1970’s and 80’s brought "celebrity" architects who designed awe-inspiring office and hotel towers. The resulting powerful skyline symbolizes the can-do, make-it-happen attitude that continues to energize our city.

In 1993, the Dallas City Council and the Dallas County Commissioners Court combined expensive preservation incentive programs with the programs of the State of Texas and the National Park Service to stimulate the renovation of downtown’s historic buildings.

Downtown is more than just a geographic location. It is the benchmark by which we and others measure the health and vitality of our region. Perhaps this is why so many private individuals and groups work together with the City and the County to stimulate balance and continued growth downtown.

This preservation program is just one of many initiatives for the center of our city and, in the Dallas tradition; NEW USES FOR OLD BUILDINGS is about money, commerce and the future.

Architectural Description

The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and the B.F. Goodrich Rubber Company Building were erected in 1929 on the north side of Parry Avenue, across the street from the Texas State Fair Grounds. The front façade was constructed of rusticated masonry and embellished with decorative brickwork in contrasting colors, caste concrete coping and other decorative details, as well as glazed tile inserts. The buildings are located on a site that during the second quarter of the twentieth century also included a fire station, Number 5 Hook and Ladder Company (1907), as well as a filling station. The filling station was removed at an indeterminate date and the fire station, now a Dallas Landmark, is occupied by the Dallas Firefighters’ Museum.

The buildings are well-preserved and intact example of Vernacular Commercial office and warehouse buildings that were constructed in Dallas in the second quarter of the twentieth century. Designed by the local architectural firm, F.J. Woemer & Company, they feature an eclectic mixture of stylistic elements. The practice of incorporating details from different architectural styles was common for a whole class of buildings that were erected in the Fair Park area. The Goodyear Building is oriented perpendicular to the B.F. Goodrich Building, with the principle facades located so that they face two different arterials, Parry Avenue and Commerce Street, thereby providing separate and distinct entries.